Can Minors Study in Canada?

students in a hallway saying hi to each other

If you’re still in high school, you’re probably planning to study in Canada after you graduate. Did you know that you don’t have to wait until you finish university to study in Canada? Canada’s education is open to even high students so here’s some information to get you started.

The First Steps

Before you can get started on your applications, the first thing you absolutely must do is discuss the plan with your parents. As a designated minor in Canada, you can’t do the process on your own or else you’ll be rejected right away. Do the research and planning with your parents. When they’ve agreed to send you to Canada (or to come with you), then the work starts.

How to Apply

(If you and your family are unsure of how to approach applications, you can always work through an agency or hire an education consultant.)

  1. Choose a school

This step may require a lot of research. You’ll have to think about which province you want to study in and if you want to attend a public or private school. 

  1. Contact the school or school district

Once you have chosen, reach out to the school. Each school or school district deals with international school applications individually. They’ll be the ones to tell you the documents you need to send and fill out as well as how much their tuition is.

  1. Fill out the application forms

Finish all these forms and documents at least six months before your expected fly out date. Applications take time to process so six months is the minimum. 

When You’ve Been Accepted

Study Permit

You will still have to apply for this as well as pay for the application. The advantage that students under 14 have is that they don’t have to take biometrics. Other than that, they’ll have to go through the same process of applying and waiting for study permit results. 

Homestay Parents

If you’re not coming to Canada with your parents, you will have to find homestay parents. You’ll get to live with a family and be taken care of. Their responsibility is to take care of you like their own, providing you with food and school supplies. However, this isn’t free and you will have to pay rent. 

There are plenty of homestay agencies online. If you decide to work with an education consultant, they’ll direct you to credible agencies. The agency will do the matching for you and pair you with a family that they think will be right for you. 

When you have found a suitable family, you will have to appoint a custodian. This a legal document that informs the government of Canada of who is taking care of the student. It is to be submitted along with the student permit application. 

Other Costs

As mentioned earlier, you’ll have to choose a school you’ll want to attend. If you choose a private school, you’re going to have to pay more tuition than you would at a public school. Private schools charge tuition for even Canadian citizens and may cost international students two or three times the amount. Either way, expect to pay at least $30,000CAD a year. 

You’ll also have to invest in health insurance. The school will offer some amount of coverage, but not the full amount. However it’s better than paying the full amount for medical attention. Residents are eligible for healthcare provided by their respective province. If need be, you can also look into extended health plans

All in all, minor students are not allowed to work in Canada so all funding is done by the parents back in the home country. Your family must be ready for this. 

After Finishing High School

If you’d like to pursue post-secondary education in Canada, you can apply for universities or colleges after. There are many pathways that students can take that will lead them to a direct entry in the universities. In most cases, this gives an advantage to students not only in school application but also for study permit extensions. 

Keep in mind that you won’t be eligible for SDS as both a secondary student and someone who graduated from a Canadian high school. 

Source: Pursuing K-12 in Canada Applying to Schools as an Intl Student

Don't forget to share this post!

One Comment

  1. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright & Disclaimer

The information on this site is for information purposes only. Canada International Student Magazine Inc (CISM) assumes no liability or responsibility for any inaccurate, delayed or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The information contained about each individual, event or organization has been provided by such individual, event organizers or organization, or third parties without verification by us.

Any form of reproduction of any content on this website without the written permission of the publisher, is strictly prohibited. CISM is operated by Canada International Student Magazine Inc. a trademarked company; all rights reserved.